How to Make a Moss Wreath with Oak Branches
Wreaths made of branches and other bits of natural ephemera have been decorating front doors for centuries. The wreath’s circular shape symbolizes perfection, unity, timelessness and also the warmth of the sun. Evergreen wreaths are especially common at Christmas time, adorned with red berries and bows, but you don’t have to wait for Santa Claus to hang a beautiful wreath on your front door. A natural moss wreath is a perfect accent to celebrate all four seasons and many holidays.
The video above illustrates how to make a wreath base, using oak branches and moss, that can be dressed up in different ways. A moss wreath adorned with oak branches makes a suitable base for any type of DIY wreath you are dreaming of. Flowers, leaves, and other seasonal clippings can turn a basic moss wreath into a celebration of spring, summer, fall or winter. Usnea, commonly known as old man’s beard, is a long, lacy, gray-green lichen that grows on the tree branches across Jordan Winery’s 1,200-acre estate, so we forage it often for use in table decor and floral arrangements.
Here’s a simple, step-by-step demonstration of how to make a moss wreath. Add a seasonal touch to this base wreath with our How to Make a Spring Tulip Wreath, How to Make a Summer Wreath and How to Make a Colorful Fall Wreath for your front door videos.
Materials for Making an Oak Branch and Moss Wreath Base
- Wreath frame
- Wire cutter
- Oak branches
How to Make an Oak Branch and Moss Wreath Base
- Lay oak branches and moss on the wreath frame. (Tip: choose oak branches that curve to the shape of the wreath frame.)
- Secure the oak branches and moss to the frame with wire.
- Wrap the wire around the moss and oak branches to hide the wreath frame.
- Attach a second wire to the first and repeat this step, adding branches and moss and securing them with wire to completely hide the frame.
- Attach interesting branch pieces to the frame, laying them all in the same direction, and secure them with more wire.
Now you have an oak and moss wreath base that you can turn into a beautiful, seasonal wreath by adding flowers, leaves, branches, acorns, and other natural items or decorations. It’s the perfect DIY wreath base for any season.